Wednesday: July 6
- Click Audio Play Button Below…
- Maria brings her best friend Hannah to visit Dad in Texas.
- Airplane to Dallas from Detroit, unaccompanied Minors !!!
- Did I say UNACCOMPANIED ????
- Maria’s in charge- cuz she’s flown the most.
- Weird guy on plane, looks like a terrorist. Spends waaay to much time in the bathroom…
- Surprises dad at home- almost knocks him off his feet with a big hug
- Hannah meets Elroy…
- Played locale (Game) in the afternoon. Dad wins 20- 18- 8 6 (DKMH- in that order)
- Dinner at a Texas steak house- dad gets called in so we eat with Kashmir- and take a taxi home (Hannah’s 1st Taxi).
- Hannah likes Maria’s bedroom and likes Lizzy a little more than Elroy.
- Dad gets home at 11:30
Thursday: July 7
- Dad wakes the girls up at 9:00 !!!!! 😦
- Coffee run and they are out of Strawberry shakes. Maria bumms out.
- Waiting for the Foster parents people to show up for Dad and Kashmir’s interview. They are nervous and just want everything to go ok.
- Dad blows it- mixes up the days completely ! The Foster parent people are coming in on Friday from Amarillo!
- Girls take pics with dawgs
- Mexican for lunch from Rosas. Dad and Hannah crank out some Mexican tunes, and Maria desperately claws at the radio dial.
- Go swimming at a place down the street called the “Swimming Hole“. Texas is hot- 104 today.
- Hang out at the house, make Chicken soup with Kashmir, and take lot’s of pictures! First time making chicken soup ever! Hannah and Maria “bone the chicken”.
- 1st glass falls and breaks. (Maria)
- The girls watch “JerseyShores“ for the first time. Hannah likes Paulie, Maria Likes Snookie, Kashmir likes Paulie, and Dad likes Ronnie.
Friday: July 8
- Dad wakes the girls up at 9:00 !!!!! 😦
- Again !!!!
- Coffee run and they are out of Strawberry shakes. maria bumms out.
- The Foster parent people show up and Maria and Hannah watch Kashmir and Dad get interviewed for 2.5 hours!
- Italian food at Stella’s. Hannah really like the food and the place. Maria actually likes the chicken Parmesan. Dad does the Clam sauce linguini, and Kash does a turkey club.
- Dad gets the girls some scrapbook materials so they can scrapbook their stay in Texas.
- Signs them up for Scrapbook classes for Saturday.
- Pepsi Run- no strawberry shakes STILL !!!
- Different McDonalds- they have shakes- Maria gets one- Maria spills shake all over her pants.
- Girls get Dawg Assignments: They feed and water the mutts on alternating days…
- Monopoly with Dad, he gets his butt kicked, and finally Maria beats Hannah.
- Kashmir gets the girls started on making Tutus.
Saturday: July 9
- Dad wakes the girls up at 9:00 !!!!! 😦
- Again !!!!
- WITH A GONG !!!!!!!!!
- Maria and Hannah off to Scrapbook class, Dad get’s called in.
- Scrapbook class sucks. Teacher is a scrapbook Nazi!
- Dad gets an idea for planning a mysterious activity. A secret surprise?
- Girls try to hack Dad’s computer while he and Kasmir go out on a recon trip for supplies.
- Kashmir and Dad argue about stupid stuff, but fix it real fast.
- Hannah and Maria try to rip Dad’s fingers off the computer as they try to read the “history” to figure out Dad’s secret surprise.
- Dad changes password to computer.
- Hannah hacks it- and he ends up changing it again.
- Hannah and Dad have consumed about 5 pound worth of grapes so far. Maria has trashed the gummy bears.
- Tacos for dinner.
- More work on the Tutus.
Sunday: July 10
- Dad gets called in early.
- The girls finally get to sleep in.
- Tried to go to the Swimming Hole- but it’s closed for a private party.
- Girls get rays in the back yard.
- Dad Blogs.
- Kashmir works on Tutus.
- Maria does “Self Portraits“
- 2nd glass falls and breaks. (Hannah)
- Girls write letters and send pictures to two Army guys that the family “Adopted” (part of an adopt a soldier program to send our boys overseas some care packages).
- Kashmir gets the girls started on making soaps for the Craft show next weekend.
- Dad gets the girls to sign a group picture to send to the Army dudes.
- Dad starts a chicken BBQ.
- Dad finds out the chicken is raw.
- Dad flips (yeah I did- jus’ a ‘lil bit).
- We watch “Ghost Ship“– Dad is the villain, Maria s the long haired dude, Hannah is the ghostly little girl, and Kashmir is “Das Boat”.
Monday: July 11
- Dad works early.
- The girls melt down
- Nobody can make their minds up about swimming- so THAT gets cancelled
- First Family Meeting
- Hannah is more of a hermit crab under her blanket- than a real hermit crab. So Dad put’s the hermit crab cage in front of her as a metaphor for the whole behavior thing.
- Hannah doesn’t think that’s all that clever
- Dad gets a “3” for his effort and especially heroic speech.
- Maria and Dad go around town (: (Gotta give Hannah a break from us sometime. Can you imagine- a Dad JUST like Maria? Except larger?)
- Maria check’s out Dad’s operating room
- They come back with food.
- Meanwhile Dad tells Maria and sings like a Canary about the horseback riding trip
- Hannah is chilled out
- They play Monopoly
- The entire state of Michigan calls to make sure Hannah is ok.
- She tells them she is-
- Dad flips again and quits cuz’ the girls are cheating again.
- Hannah and Maria and Dad gather in the office- and chatter together like a small pack of conniving rats trying to figure out how NOT to tell Kashmir that the chicken has flown the coop- and everybody knows everything about everything to do with the horse and Canyon trip
- A lot of finger pointing as we get busted by Kashmir in the office.
- It’s a race to see who can throw the other UNDER the bus FIRST!
- Dad almost breaks the 3rd Glass (a bottle next to the fridge)
- Kashmir holds a trial (she is the Judge) and by the time it’s all said and done, Hannah and Maria get off scott free- and Dad takes the major hit and is GUILTY of everything: Obstruction of justice, Misleading a judge, being a Dad, that sort of thing.
- Tonight we watch the Goonies: Maria is “Chunk”, Hannah is the “cute girl”, Dad starts out as the mean older brother- but switches to “mouth”, and Kashmir is “1-eyed-Willie”.
Tuesday: July 12
- Dad works early. (5 hours of sleep)
- Hannah and Maria go swimming
- Kashmir works out and hooks up with the girls at the “Swimming Hole” and they stay an hour or so more.
- Dad gets out of work and goes to an Army surplus store to buy canteens for the Canyon trip.
- The girls make pizza
- We watch an early movie “Beastly“. Hannah is the “cute chick”, Maria is the “blonde witch”, Dad is the “evil dad”, and Kashmir makes more tutus.
- Ice cream run.
- Brief sand / thunderstorm- really windy, air smells like rain and dirt. Sky is a sick yellowish pink gray.
- Dad works on this Texas diary, and the girls are hanging out with Kash.
Wednesday: July 13
- Dad works @ 9 ish.
- Girls stayed up until 5 am- woke up at 1:30 pm
- Girls help Kashmir pack and label purses for a craft show on Saturday.
- Watch movie “Catch Me if You Can” (Leonardo Dicaprio)
- Backyard for rays…
- Dad cooks up some steaks and Kashmir does some terrific sauteed carrots and twice baked potatos.
- Dinner is served as we watch Big Brother.
- And the Players are …
- Dad is Dick
- Kashmir is Jeff
- Maria is Danielle
- Hanna is Jordan
- Girls plan on staying up late and later.
- Dad crashes early- up by 5:30 tomorrow.
- Kasmir is getting to her goal of 12 tutus, and an ungodly variety of soaps.
- Dad figures out that the girls ran out of shampoo a few days ago- thought they were fully stocked 😦
Thursday: July 14
- Dad works @ 6:30.
- Kashmir brings the great white beast home (Mutti)
- Girls stay up late the night before- so it’s a 2:00 pm wake up
- They are informed that even rock stars after a gig, hold more more reasonable hours.
- Dad & Kash run a bunch of errands- Dad has a longer day tomorrow.
- Dad snags Mara- and they go to Best Buy to get an early Birthday present.
- Maria gets an I-Pad 2– Black with a nice shell, and 64 gig WiFi.
- We all watch Big Brother.
- Dad’s guy ends up leaving so Dad becomes Kieth
- And that guy get’s booted- so now Dad’s playing the farm girl person.
- Dad let’s the great white beast (Mutti) out in the living room to get comfortable with the girls.
- Hannah is cool with it, Maria- not so much.
- The girls have forgotten how much time they spent with Mutti back in the day.
- And The Great White Beast loved her…
- But now things are different- and Maria avoids TGWB… sigh
Friday: July 15
- Dad works early- comes home late (after 7)
- The girls get up at 10 (preconditioning for tomorrow when they have to get up at 6:45 am)
- Girls off to swim
- Kashmir cooks up some burgers, and gets organized for the craft show
- Girls to bed early (but who knows how long they are up skyping)
- The household gos down quietly on a Lubbock Friday night.
Saturday: July 16
- Up and away at 7:15 for Kashmir and the girls.
- It’s Craft Show Time !
- Dad sleeps in til 9:00 am
- Some of the products:
- And another…
- The Craft Show Setup
- A different Angle
- Totally in charge…
- Body Art (No they’re not real)
- Sign Post 1
- Sign Post 2
- A Car Show…
- Kashmir Craft Show updates: 3 tutus sold and 3 purses
- Home at 6- Girls are really tired
- Hot Pockets and fixen’s is on the menu (they hate Chinese)
- Girls stay up late (they got their 2nd wind thing).
Sunday: July 17
- Girls are up late … It’s past 1 pm and still hibernating
- Dad blogs-
- A day full of drama talks and honesty
- Clearing out the Facebook confusion
- The girls watch “Cyber Bully“
Monday: July 18
- Dad is Off this week (well on super secret standby- only if the stars align just perfectly and the you know what- hits the fan.
- Errands with Kashmir
- Dad loves Kashmir
- A lot !!!!!
The girls do an Underwater Photo shoot !
- The theme music from Jaws is playing here ….
- This is what a Mermaid looks like right before you drown… Drop dead beautiful !
- Yippee Ki Yay !!!!
- I wish I could Skype This…
- Why does she make me do this?
- Wait “til we start Our World Tour !
- Kashmir rustles up some Potato Soup with cheese and bacon bits for the posse.
- Dad does the 1 hour photo thing and gets these pictures up on the blog.
- The girls get serious about their Texas scrapbooks.
1-2-3-4… I declare a Puzzle War !
- 2 puzzles- 2 teams: 750 pieces each !
- Hannah & Maria v. Kashmir and Dad (except Dad isn’t helping much yet)
- Not sure what’s worse- Hannah and Maria together- or Kashmir without Dad…
- The girls look scared and shaken…
Tuesday: July 19
- The countdown begins. What seemed a long time a while ago- seems super fast now. T-minus 6 days. 😦
- Dad is off today- blogs a bit while the family sleeps in.
- Kashmir off to the gym for a workout.
- Girls up @ noon.
- It took a cattle prod to herd them out of their room…
- Maria is grumpy
- HMU baby (“hit me up” Internet slang for “Text Me”)
- Kash takes the girls out to lunch, some clothes shopping, and maybe an eyebrow place…
- Face to Face with the Wicked Witch of the West…
Wednesday: July 19
- Today is LaserTag Wednesday (along with a bunch of other things).
- The plan is to go to The Main Attraction : A rockin’ Arcade place…
- LaserTag Wednesday got moved to LaserTag Thursday so that today could be Sleep-in Wednesday and BBQ Cookoff day !
- Girls plan on sleeping in and then off to the Swimming Hole.
- Dad gets some rays and tunes …
The Rib Cook-off Begins…
- Dad’s entry…
- Kashmir’s Yet-to-be-cooked ribs… Winner !
- And the rest of the day was drama free. (Yay)
Puzzle War Update !
- Hannah & Maria Win!
- Kashmir was Valiant– but dad was a TOTAL slacker on this project- some token help is all … Kash never had a fighting chance…
Before Continuing Story: Click Aidio Link below…http://db.tt/wHSgICJ
4 thoughts on “A West Texas Summer”
Ah, Teut… I’m so sorry. I know it won’t make you feel any better, but I’m sure they’re sad about leaving too. Maybe in a few short years they can look at U/T or …?
I sure enjoyed reading about your adventures Teut. I bet your time with the girls just flew by- how wonderful that you made so many memories during your summer adventure!
WHAT A ROCKING BLOG !!!!!
Great 2nd part. You guys are FANTABULOUS writters. I wish i could be in your family because you guys rock! I wish i was you! This is AWESOME! I LOVE YOU GUYS! ❤